Saturday 25 February 2012

So whats the big deal with "products"....?

So, this is my first blog in The Hair Care Bible, and I have chosen to talk about products.
Why? Because first and foremost, beautiful hair starts with how you clean it!
I've always been a high retailer in all the salons I have worked in. Not because I'm intent on making commission, and not just because I'm ridiculously competitive and have to be better than everyone else.... I'ts because I work hard to make my clients hair beautiful and I want to ensure it stays beautiful until the next time I see them. After all, that hair has my name on it!

I dont "sell" I "prescribe"

"Arn't all shampoos the same?"
NO! Many high street shampoos and conditioners contain sulphates and parabens that break down and destroy the keratin in the hair. Keratin is what your hair is made up of, and to break it down would compromise not only the condition of the hair, but also fade the colour.

"Pantene, Herbal Essences, Elvive, (insert name of iffy supermarket shampoo marketed by overpaid celebrities whom I GAURANTEE do not use the product) make my hair all shiny"
Thats because they coat your hair in layers of non water soluble silicon that make it seem shiny, but it's effectivly been laminated! Head itch after a while? That will be the silicon building up on your scalp. Hair feel lank after a few uses? Thats because it's so heavy. Colour not taking properly.....Try tanning through factor 50, it's the same thing! Getting dandruff, and probably then using Head and Shoulders (equally iffy stuff as it does the same as the rest!)? That will be the layers of silicon flaking off then.
So with all these "ailments" who gets the blame? Who's blamed if the colour isn't taking properly? Your stylist!
So whilst I may be passionate about products, It's simply because I want my clients hair at its best ALL the time.

If you're using a good salon shampoo and conditioner, you only need a small amount as it is so concentrated. A bottle should last you a good 80 shampoos.

How to clean your hair.
To clean your hair effectively, really wet your hair. Put about a 20p size of shampoo in your palms and rub together. Sweep it over your hair and rub it in. It may not lather to begin with, it's just absorbing the impurities. Carry on then rinse, and repeat if you feel you want a bit of bubble! It will bubble the second time, as it's already clean.
To condition effectvely, squeeze the excess moisture from your hair and apply the same anount of conditioner through the mid lengths and ends. Leave for a minute and rinse well. Rinse really well. Then rinse it some more.

Never rub your hair dry, this will rough up the cuticle and promote the dreaded frizz! Just blot with the towell. Never brush your hair when it's wet, it's weaker at this time and more easily broken. Only use a wide tooth comb.

Then proceed to style....ah but that's another story.......

No comments:

Post a Comment